- We’re Hiring: Communications Producer
We’re Hiring: Communications Producer
May 4, 2017
The West Virginia Food & Farm Coalition is building the local food and agriculture system in West Virginia in a way that provides viable incomes for farmers and local foods businesses and ensures all residents have access to local food. Farmers and local food and agriculture businesses are at the heart and soul of the local food movement; the Coalition seeks to first hear their voices and serve those who are fundamental to building resilient and robust food systems. Special efforts are made to understand their needs and vision for their businesses and communities in order to represent them in our work.
This position is an opportunity for a self-proclaimed creative! You have a knack for story telling via writing, photography, video, and/or graphics. You enjoy spending time in the field during the warmer months capturing stories and footage and can return to the office to strategically compose communicative pieces. You’re good at listening to your team members, your constituency, and community partners for input and feedback, while maintaining the integrity of your work. You take the time to learn the history and context of your work and then you take the proverbial bull-by-the horns to make things happen. You can understand that the Food & Farm Coalition is a small organization with a big mission and may sometimes need you to pitch in outside of your area of expertise to keep it all moving forward and can do so in order to support your team with a spirit of excellence.
About the Position:
This is an exciting time in the local food movement, and this position is an opportunity to tell that story, involve others in the movement, and elevate farmers and food businesses that drive this movement while creating viable livelihoods for themselves and their families.
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position. It is a 1-year commitment, but we do see this position as a long-term need and will do our best to fund it as a full-time staff position in subsequent years.
- Strategic thinking/planning re: Communications goals/agendas
- Conceptual graphic design/layout
- Video recording/editing/production
- Website updating via WordPress
- Utilization/Methodology related to Social Media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Preparation of print media for printing press production
- Audio-Visual support/production for live events and recordings
- Consideration/preparation of video/graphics/documents for website/blog utilization
- Creation and management of graphically-oriented “e-blast” campaigns
- Conducting interviews with constituents and community partners
- Creative writing for public relations and publications
- Miscellaneous administrative duties
- Possess a bachelors degree in a related field (e.g., Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Art, Professional Writing)
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience in graphic design, public relations, video editing
- Team player and demonstrate a positive attitude towards the work and organization
- Experience in WordPress, Adobe programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Premiere, and Lightroom), photography, videography are a plus.
How to Apply:
Applications with the following contents should be sent to Spencer Moss at Apply@WVFoodandFarm.org :
- Cover letter explaining how the applicant is a good fit for the position at the Coalition and demonstrate an understanding that the position is a stipend AmeriCorps VISTA position. Candidates are encouraged to learn more prior to applying by visiting https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista
- Nonfiction writing sample
- Pertinent portfolio items such as photography, graphic design, marketing deliverables, strategic marketing plans, or video links
- Interviews will be conducted via teleconference and begin immediately.
- Position will be offered by May 22, 2017 with acceptance and completion of formal paperwork by June 1.
- Position will begin in July 2017 pending the dates of VISTA Pre-Service Orientation.
Download the position announcement here.